Saturday, January 03, 2009

Still re-reading

I am daunted by the pile of serious Jew-lit and gay-lit I found I hadn't read. It all sounds so gloomy and good-for-you; packed full of nutritional value but without any of the sheer joy that junk reading delivers. As a friend of mine once said as she sampled the gluten-free cake at a reading, "Needs more glutens."

So instead, it's back to little palate cleansers of Sandman graphic novels punctuated by light reading. Last night I read The Sandman Vol. 7: Brief Lives.

When I finished that, I decided it was time to reread Lamb Special Gift Ed: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
by Christopher Moore. Oh, is this shit funny. SO irreverent and silly. But it does answer the deep, philosophical question, "What if Jesus knew Kung-Fu?" - which I must have asked myself a thousand times. Hasn't everyone?

Sadly, his other books didn't amuse me as much, although he certainly has a talent for titles. I mean, how can you beat The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You know we're going to have to wash that camel before we get to town." Paraphrase. Still priceless.

Madeline Elayne said...

Aw come on. You didn't like the vampire ones?

"Are you realy a vampire, I mean, really really?"

"yes, really."

"Cool! Let's do it with our shoes off this time!"

(also paraphrased)

Laura Antoniou said...

Lamb was even funnier than I remembered. And no, didn't like the vampire ones, either. I have to admit, my taste in vampires is very narrow.